What is a WYSIWYG web builder? Should you use it?
In this blog post, you will learn more about this new way of creating a website.
What is a WYSIWYG web builder?
A “What You See Is What You Get” (WYSIWYG) web builder is a type of website development tool that allows you to drag and drop elements onto your page, as well as change their formatting.
This can make it much quicker for beginners to learn how to build websites without having to know HTML code.
Benefits of WYSIWYG Web Builder
Here are some reasons why people opt for a WYSIWYG web builder.
a). Ease of use
Ease of use for beginners without HTML skills.
With such a tool, all you have to do is drag and drop elements to create the perfect website of your dreams.
All of this happens thanks to pre-built website templates and drag-and-drop functionality.
b). Create a website fast
Faster development process than coding websites yourself from scratch.
You no longer have to sit down for hours trying to figure out what type of code or CSS goes where.
With a WYSIWYG web builder, just pick a template close to what you wish to build and get down editing.
c). Variety of elements
With a WYSIWYG web builder, you have access to a large choice of elements to choose from.
These elements include things like;
- Text boxes
Now, website developers who prefer the more hands-on approach can also code their websites with a traditional editor.
Alternatively, they can use raw HTML tags.
Well, this is not possible in some web builders like Dreamweaver for example that doesn’t support these features.
If you are new to this type of software then it might be quicker and easier to start out learning how to design your webpage with a builder.
That is where WYSIWYG web builder comes in.
In fact, there are a lot of features in the WYSIWYG web builder that you would want to know about before getting started.
WYSIWYG web builder Features
Here are some of the things you should expect when using website builders;
- Drag and drop functionality lets users customize their website using a visual editor without having to write any HTML or CSS code
- Users can upload photos, videos, audio files from CDs, plug-ins for music galleries are available through the app store
- The ability to create unlimited pages on your site while maintaining an organized structure by categories is just one more way this platform makes it easy for anyone to make an attractive website with no programming skills required for as little money as possible.
- Site builders will also find built-in tools such as SEO optimization, social media integration, and blog publishing which means they can get their website up and running without hiring a webmaster
Pay attention here;
WYSIWYG web builder refers to both a tool and general name for website builders.
a). WYSIWYG web builder as a tool
WYSIWYG web builder is a website building tool created specifically for small, medium-sized businesses and freelancers to create and launch websites without touching code.
This tool comes with a ton of elements including an intuitive drag-and-drop builder.
And to top it, there are highly customizable templates, icons, navigation buttons, and fonts among other things you will need to create a fully functional website in minutes.
Features of WYSIWYG web builder tool
With this tool, you will find tools for both complete beginners building their first website as well as for experts.
- Responsive Web Design – this tool comes with built-in support for layout grid, flexbox, CSS grid, or fixed layouts with breakpoints
- Forms Tools – with these tools, you can send emails, upload files, and even store data in mysql or CSV, among other operations.
- Extensions – You get access to hundreds of extensions, which helps add extra functionality to your website. These include slideshows, navigation, audio/video, webshops, data viewers among others.
- Pre-made Blocks – with these blocks, you can get started fast, saving you time and headaches trying to figure out what to use.
These and many more others make WYSIWYG web builder the perfect tool to create your next online project.
WYSIWYG web builder templates
As mentioned, this website builder leverages pre-made websites to speed up the site creation process.
All of their templates are available for free and you can download them to use on your website.
But there are some guidelines governing what you can and can’t do with their free website templates.
Some images used in the templates are subject to copyright and they are intended for clarity and for purposes of presentation only.
The use, modification, disclosure, and publication of this material, of any kind, is expressly prohibited.
As such, once you have downloaded a template from their website, be sure to replace the images with your own.
This way, you avoid getting yourself into copyright issues.
How to download the WYSIWYG web builder
To download templates on their website, follow these steps.
- Download the template pack by clicking the download button on the website template you want
- Unzip the templates in the Web Builder template folder. Use this folder path: C:\Users\YourName\Documents\WYSIWYG Web Builder\system\templates (where YourName is the name of your Windows user account).
Now, to add a new category to the template selection window, for easier template organization, create a new folder and put the template files in this folder.
And the new name of the folder will then be displayed in the Category dropdown list.
To create a new page from a template select File>>New Web Site From Template.
How much does it cost?
How much does it cost to use this tool?
First, the WYSIWYG web builder is downloadable software.
This means that you have to download and install it on your computer to use it.
As of now, WYSIWYG web builder is going for $59.95, a one-time fee.
With this price, you get a license for a single user to activate the software.
Additionally, this license allows you to can install the software on up to three computers.
b). WYSIWYG web builder as a name for page builders
The term ‘What You See Is What You Get’ can also be used to refer to other website builders like WIX, Squarespace, Weebly, and OLITT, among others.
Because with these tools, you don’t need any coding experience to create a website.
Additionally, unlike the tool, these builders are often online-based.
This means that you do not need to download and install any software to use them.
To use Wix, all you have to do is head over to https://wix.com, create an account and you are ready to build a website for free.
Now, to drive the point home, we are going to look at the best alternative to the WYSIWYG web builder tool; OLITT.
OLITT: Best WYSIWYG web builder Alternative
OLITT is a free website builder perfect for app developers, SaaS entrepreneurs, small business owners, artists, and professionals looking to launch their ideas online swiftly.
With this tool, you have access to beautiful landing pages, one-page websites, and online stores.
You can link your pages with Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, MailChimp, Hotjar, Facebook Pixel, Jira, Tawk.to, Intercom, Paypal, among other plugins.
Here are some of the goodies availed to you by OLITT;
- Comes with an in-built Global Content Delivery Network (CDN). This helps your readers access your content.
- You can connect custom domain for free, even if on the free plan
- Manage your domain records for free
- Get access to highly discounted domains
- Get a free SSL certificate to secure your site and boost your chances of ranking high on search engines.
How to get started on OLITT
To create a website for free, head over to https://www.olitt.com/
Click on Create Your Free Site.
Your next move is to decide on a website category.
Category unlocks different website templates you can use to create a website for free.
If you are creating a personal website to showcase your portfolio, go with the Creative category.
It contains templates perfect for such a site.
Now, go through the available templates and pick the one you like.
From here, you can proceed to create an account and start editing.
Creating a website today doesn’t have to be hectic thanks to WYSIWYG Web Builder like OLITT.
You get a free website and a free domain to go with it.
Get started here now.